Position: Communications Consultant
Date Posted: March 26, 2018
Application Deadline: April 13th
Term: Contract - 20 weeks (starting by May 1st)
Compensation: $4000 - $5000
Hours: variable - 5-15 hours/week
MABELLEarts is a community arts organization that brings together people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities to make art, tell stories and creatively transform public spaces www.mabellearts.ca
This summer, MABELLEarts will be hosting free programs and events in two Central Etobicoke parks, as well as launching our first national project, in partnership with organizations in 5 cities across Canada. Our summer activities will engage over 1500 community participants and a team of over 15 artists.
We are seeking a Communications Consultant (an individual or company/firm) to play a key role in strengthening our social media, public relations, and digital footprint, throughout this busy programming time and period of organizational growth. MABELLEarts is committed to creating high-impact digital materials that amplify the reach of our community projects and share community stories of success. This summer, we are excited to increase our online impact as we scale-up programming, with the help of a Communications Consultant. The ideal candidate will have a passion for, and experience in, public relations, social media, graphic design, and a strong overall understanding of marketing and communications. This position reports to the Assistant Artistic Director.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Prepare and manage a summer-long social media content calendar with consideration to projects in Etobicoke and each national project site (Winnipeg, Halifax, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal).
- Copywriting and visual content creation for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Coordinate with team members and/or external parties to support, write or edit additional social media content
- Conduct research to ensure maintenance of online engagement and website traffic
- Designing and managing communications strategy for National Project digital launch (May 2018) - connecting to partners’ Communications teams 5 cities (Toronto, Halifax, Montreal, Vancouver, Winnipeg)
- Ensure consistency of brand elements for all MABELLEarts’ public materials/media
- Communicating and collaborating with graphic designers in preparation of publicity materials
- On-site social media coverage for MABELLEarts’ programs and events in Etobicoke
- Contribute to development of on-going communications strategies
- Prepare monthly social media reports and adapt strategies to respond to findings
- Coordinate with team members to create content for monthly newsletter
- Writing pitch emails and press releases
- Updating media lists
- Submitting event listings - including on www.mabellearts.ca
- Contribute to development of strategies
- Preparing press package
- On-site media management at public event
Work can be completed virtually, but must be during office hours (10 - 6pm). Will be required to come into the office from time to time. Office is in Etobicoke, Ontario. On-site social media will be heavy in May-June and Late August.
- Exceptional understanding of social media and social media management tools, web analytics
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations and/or equivalent employment experience
- 1-2 years marketing, communications, or public relations experience
- Previous experience with start-to-finish media and content management that included but was not limited to creation, implementation, management
- Demonstrated ability to produce and edit written material for a variety of audiences (writing samples may be requested)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite; Adobe Suite; Squarespace; Google Office (Mail, Drive, and Calendar)
Must be able to begin immediately
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Results driven with a strong sense of motivation.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Extremely organized; time and project prioritization.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Willingness to learn from and teach others and openness to feedback.
- Ability to manage-up.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Can manage multiple projects at once.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with constant change.
- Active problem solver who is proactive and resourceful.
- Understanding of the issues facing marginalized communities and a demonstrated commitment to social justice an asset.
How to apply
Please send a detailed two-page resume and one-page cover letter to email@example.com
Applications must be received by April 13, 2017.
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
We will be in touch with candidates who we wish to connect with for an interview and we’d rather not discuss the specifics of the position by phone. Thank you for your understanding and your interest.
MABELLEarts encourages applications from all qualified candidates. We’re committed to developing an inclusive workplace and welcome candidates with roots in the communities we serve as well as those from other equity-seeking groups. At MABELLEarts we believe that incorporating a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and ideas sparks innovation that strengthens our work.
Our office is located in a Toronto Community Housing high-rise tower that has been equipped with automated entrances and exits. Our washroom is wheelchair accessible. To discuss accommodation related to the hiring process, please contact the Artistic Director at 416-239-4900 or by email – firstname.lastname@example.org at your earliest convenience.